Friday, October 12, 2012

New Godzilla Movie to be "Realistic"

Well it looks Gareth Edwards has provided more info on the type of direction he wants to take "Godzilla".

Here's the direct quote from his interview with Total Film:

"I've always been interested in Godzilla and the ideas around him. I really wanted to see another Godzilla film and jumped at the opportunity. My main idea was to imagine 'If this really happened, what would it be like?' I want to take a grounded, realistic approach to a Godzilla film."

After that comes this rather bizarre comparison:

"I've never worked this hard, this long and been this emotionally involved in something that's lasted only a few seconds since the time I lost my virginity! But the reaction has been amazing and I can't wait for the fans to see our final product."

Yeah...maybe the British have an usual sense of humor is how I'm judging that last comment!

Anyways his focus on "realism" makes sense considering his only other film, "Monsters" went along that same angle.

There he played the film as if a monster/alien invasion had already occurred and people were dealing with it in real-time fashion.

I'm kind of for this because it can be a lot like "Cloverfield" except on a broader level and without the shaky-cam.

But by the same token focusing on "realism" restricts what a movie can do...as rather than dealing with massive locations and characters from across the world it may end up dealing with just a family's perspective or something.

I'm thinking of further discussing this topic along with my exasperation of yet another writer working on the "Godzilla" film, and that's to come soon.

In any case here's the original article for further info:

superherohype.com: New Godzilla Movie to be realistic

No comments:

Post a Comment