Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Brutal review of the Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters series


It's no secret that I haven't been too fond of the Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters series.

I had such high hopes.

The first new Godzilla comic book since the days of Dark Horse and it was being made by IDW, who have previously taken great care of their licensed properties.

So what a letdown it was to read each issue and continue to be disappointed.

The writing is the most frustrating part, as full blame lies on Eric Powell's inability to keep things serious.

He just has to keep placing political, stereotypical and social jabs, which completely take one out of context.  It's a Godzilla series, not "The Onion".

Speaking of which, WHERE'S GODZILLA?

For a comic book named after Godzilla, one would think he'd be front and center within each issue doing what he does best.

But going into several issues now he's only come out a few pages, in some issues only a few panels.

Crazy stuff.

In any case the the article I found agrees with many of my previous points, and decides to take it a whole other level!

This reviewer "Gfan" is seriously angry about this series and does not hold back on anything.

Take a look if you have a chance and see if you agree/disagree with what he has to say:

comicbookmovies.com: IDW Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters review

3 comments:

  1. I've been following this series closely. I agree that it hasn't been that great, average at best. I do think they are heading in the right direction, and the recent issue was very good I thought. My review: http://destroyers-editorialsandreviews.blogspot.com/2011/10/godzilla-kingdom-of-monsters-8-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Destroyer! Do you mind if I reference it soon on a future article?

    ReplyDelete