Thursday, October 6, 2011

What Could have Been: Batman vs Godzilla film

Hello everybody this is Fernando for Godzilla Movie News.



I thought I would start yet another new column for my website, this one chronicling past failed attempts at various Godzilla movies.

I usually do this through my Godzilla YouTube Channel, but sometimes some of these projects have so little info they'll never constitute the usual 10 minutes plus that my YouTube videos deserve.

As such I thought I would showcase them here.

Case in point (for this inaugural edition) is a failed attempt at pitting Batman
against Godzilla.

Yeah...you heard that right.

Here's the info that I found about this failed project:

"BATMAN VS. GODZILLA”—Shinichi Sekizawa tried again with a draft submitted in November 1965 that featured the Dark Knight against Godzilla. Robin, Commissioner Gordon, the Batmobile, Batcycle, and a weather control device all came into play, along with references to Batgirl. It’s unclear if this was ever made known to DC Comics, as it never came close to production; the weather device was reused in “Son of Godzilla”.

Apparently Toho Studios was all geared towards this enough to commission their own script.

Only thing is nobody ever bothered mentioning this to DC, or DC themselves took a pass on this ludicrous concept.

I call it ludicrous for two reasons:

a) no doubt it would have paralleled the goofy Adam West Batman (pictured above) concept, as this was the time when Toho Studios themselves were making Godzilla super campy

b) the idea of a "Batman vs. Godzilla" movie just seems so preposterous.
How would it have been filmed? How would the storyline have worked? Would Batman have done one of those corny BAM!, POW!, KAZOOM!, punches right to Godzilla's face?

Ugh. All around this was a bad idea from the start.

Luckily this never went past the draft stage and that was the end of that.

Although when one thinks about it, Batman does have that giant Tyrannosaurus Rex within his Batcave.

I've always wondered why he had such a thing there?

Maybe it was an homage to this earlier idea?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am such a big Godzilla fan, but I've never heard about this. Would you mind if I were to take that piece of info to make an article on another site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, go ahead Destroyer. Always happy to have such information shared =) I actually got the info from this website: www.theglobalcafe.org/article.php?articleID=120, which I'm chronicling over time, so due credit goes here too.

    ReplyDelete