Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sad ending for the 1998 Godzilla

Hello everybody this is Fernando for godzillamovienews.

I recently found this picture on the internet which showcases what literally became of the 1998 Godzilla model used in the Dean Devlin/Roland Emmerich movie.


As you can see here it looks like it was just left in the backlot of some movie studio to rust and whither away. How cool would it be to be able to ask that studio if one could just take it home, as it looks like it's just taking up space in their lot. I'm trying to picture what scene this particular model would have been used within the movie. The closest I could come up with is when Godzilla bursts through the building behind those three military chopters, as it looks to be the right size and configuration.

Still it's a sad way to see this collectible item just seemingly left for parts now.

I've always wondered what happens to many of the props used throughout a movie. Like in this 1998 Godzilla movie, there were those hundreds of prop fish used in the "bait" scene; or in the Madison Square Garden scene, all of those large eggs created during the hatching scenes. I know that some of those items make their way into collectors venues to later resell, but at most that would just be a small percentage of things.

Do the rest simply get just thrown away?


1 comment:

  1. Looking at this makes me...sad. Godzilla/Zilla 1998 was my childhood, and the photo makes me feel as though all the hate and prejudice against Zilla killed him and reduced him to this. Like I said, this legitimately makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete