Monday, November 21, 2011

Godzilla Toy of the Day


What you're looking at are the Godzilla trading cards (36 Pack) from the 1998 Godzilla movie.

I included this within my Toy of the Day column because of the unique cards given within the set.

(I say this from personal experience as I've already purchased a box set before).

Coming with 36 different packs of cards, there's the standard photos showcasing the main characters and certain film points.

On the back of each card are texts describing the action along with a little trivia.

But what really made me enjoy the set were the "behind-the-scene" conceptual art cards by Patrick Tatopoulos and Co.

I'm a HUGE fan of concept art, as it's great to see an artist essentially give birth to what will end up on film.

Such is the case here with very early concept cards showcasing Godzilla at his inception.

Some of the art in fact is so early, even Godzilla himself looks different than what ended up on film.

There's also some fantastic "Godzilla Gallery" cards showcasing great painted artwork.  I've included an example as a reference point.


Unfortunately I did not find any special edition type cards, i.e. autographed or movie-owned stuff, but then again they may not even exist.

Nevertheless it was still extremely exciting to open each pack and see what's inside. It brought me back to my teenage years when I would do the same with Marvel/DC cards, eagerly anticipating what's in each pack.

In any case I highly recommend this set for any Godzilla fan out there, and it comes at a very cheap price too.








No comments:

Post a Comment