Sunday, November 20, 2011

EXCLUSIVE Interview: Todd Tennant, artist for the Godzilla 1994 graphic novel and "American Kaiju" the mini-series!


Great news everybody!

I am posting an exclusive interview with Todd Tennant, who is the artist for the Godzilla 1994 graphic novel that I've previously chronicled in one of my YouTube videos (seen here).

Todd is also the artist and creator for various outstanding Kaiju-related projects, including an upcoming one titled "AMERICAN KAIJU", which Todd describes as "THE AVENGERS meet DESTROY ALL MONSTERS".

(One can easily find this new work at his website americankaiju.com, and see his YouTube previews both here and here).

I initially came across Todd's work when I was looking at information related to the long-lost "Godzilla 1994" film.  As a Godzilla/Kaiju fan, it's always great to see other fans like Todd take the initiative and turn their fandom into something we can all share and enjoy.

Todd is definitely a talented individual (as you will see in all of the enclosed pictures he was kind enough to share), so it was very nice of him to spend some time doing this interview.

I highly recommend everybody to take a look at his websites (of which I've included all of the links for) and share them with anyone else you might know.

Godzilla/Kaiju fans everywhere will definitely enjoy seeing his work.

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------

GMN: Your artwork is amazing Todd. You’ve been able to combine the classic comic book look with photo-realism. Can you tell us when you first began drawing?

Todd: Thank you for those kind words. I’ve been drawing ever since I was old enough to pick up pencils and paper, mostly drawing dinosaurs. I did also love classic comics. My favorites were the Atlas/Marvel Jack Kirby-Dick Ayers giant monster comics. Steve Ditko’s GORGO & KONGA comics he illustrated for Charlton were also a big influence. Later on, I wrote and pencilled many of my own comics stories while in Elementary & Junior High school.

GMN: Every artist has that one moment when they decided to turn their hobby into a career. When was that moment for you?

Todd: That would have to be shortly after I took an offset printing course. Running a press was ok, but I preferred doing “paste-up” art. From there I got into commercial illustration and finally ended up as an architectural renderer. I gradually got back into creating my own comics stories whenever I had the time.

GMN: Let’s talk about the item that first led me to your artwork, the lost Godzilla 1994 film. Many Godzilla fans (including myself) see it as a huge opportunity lost considering the talented folks involved. You’ve taken it upon yourself to turn its discarded script into an original graphic novel (found at americankaiju.kaijuphile.com). How did you first come across this canceled project, and what made you start creating a graphic novel for it?

Todd: I went to see the TRISTAR Godzilla movie when it was released in 1998, which re-kindled my old love for the Toho Godzilla movies I saw as a kid. I began purchasing all the G-movies I could find and began reading G-FAN magazine, where I read several articles about the “original” TriStar GODZILLA project that was cancelled in late 1994. Later on, the first draft of the ’94 screenplay (written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio) began showing up on the Internet. I printed it out and read it. About halfway into it, I began wondering why on earth TriStar did not film this version rather than the one now known as “GINO” (Godzilla in name only). Soon after that, I attempted to illustrate the screenplay in a graphic novel format.

GMN: How long does it take you to create/finish each individual page?

Todd: That really depends on the number and complexity of the individual panels on the particular comics/gn page. Some pages take one day, others can take up to 3 or 4 days, depending on whatever my workload is for my architectural illustration business.

GMN: I noticed the last page drawn for this Godzilla graphic novel was back in November 2010. Are you planning on doing any more work for it?

Todd: One thing I’ve learned is to never say never, so I would have to say that the status of my American GODZILLA ’94 online graphic novel would be “indefinitely on-hold”.

GMN: Can you tell our readers what you were attempting to do with Toho Studios regarding this graphic novel?

Todd: In the beginning, it was my intention to produce “G’94” only as a fan-based graphic novel on my original American Kaiju website www.kaijuphile.com.
I was getting many requests for a published version, so I contacted the publishers who had previously released GODZILLA comics (Marvel & Dark Horse), but was told they were not interested in renewing their licensing contracts with Toho.
Later on, Bluewater Productions tried to contact Toho concerning the publishing of my G’94 gn, but they never heard back from them. We found out a few months later the reason was the deal they had made with IDW comics for their Godzilla comics.


GMN: What is your favorite Godzilla movie and why?

Todd: That would have to be GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS (’56), simply because that was the first Godzilla movie I saw on TV. I’ve never been quite the same since that afternoon.

GMN: You’ve also mentioned an American Kaiju 4 issue mini-series coming soon, as part of Bluewater Productions (www.bluewaterprod.com). I’ve looked at the teases and it looks very ambitious, so I’m definitely interested in seeing more. Can you tell us more about it?

Todd: A quick pitch would go something like this: “Think “THE AVENGERS meet DESTROY ALL MONSTERS”.

AMERICAN KAIJU The Mini-Series is a compilation of giant monsters and stories and sketches I’ve created from the past 15 years or so. Of course, there will be “humans” involved also, but it’s really going to be all about the “Kaiju”. In the introductory story, there will be two teams of four giant monsters who will battle it out in Europe and the US.


(GMN NOTE: again previews can be found here and here).

They will prepare you for the Kaiju devastation that is coming soon.



GMN: There’s a whole assortment of good/bad guys and monsters on this website. Can you tell us about who each of them are and what role they play?

Todd: The story centers around a secret underground base, located in the SW USA. “Area 50” was established (before Area 51) in the 1930‘s to contain living prehistoric monsters, newly-discovered at that time. Many other scientific experimental programs took place/still take place there. The current American Kaiju line-up are: King Komodo, Gigante, King Yeti, and Pett. They are trained by Area 50 Head, Dr. Isaac Nathan, and his “Team AK”: Captain Jon Reynolds, Dr. Liz Mendoza, and Dr. Jeff Chun. They will be battling “The Environators”, a team of malevolent giant monsters lead by a wealthy international eco-terrorist named Alexander Dasco. Dasco was a part of Area 50 until his betrayal & secession back in the 90’s. The current line-up for The Environators are: Kwai-Long, Poseidon, Aligon and Angkah. (For more information, please visit www.americankaiju.com).









GMN: When exactly is each issue coming out?

Todd: AMERICAN KAIJU #1 should be released shortly after I finish up with AK #2. Can’t give an exact date right now, but will be sure to let you know as soon as I can.

GMN: How as fans can we continue to get updates on it?

Todd: The best source is: www.americankaiju.com

GMN: What exactly is Bluewater Productions?

Todd: Bluewater Productions is a full-service publishing and production company specializing in comic books, graphic novels and Multimedia. www.bluewaterprod.com

GMN: Overall the americankaiju.com website looks like a blast. It’s quite obvious that you’re a huge kaiju fan considering the content inside. What can everybody expect from this website upon visiting?

Todd: Right now, there is a basic overview of the story and introductory info for the Kaiju and human characters. There will be sneak peaks of coming kaiju attractions. We also have anew AK Forum, and a blog that should become much more active once AMERICAN KAIJU #1 is released. Come check it all out.

GMN: Now let’s go back to your other website, americankaiju.kaijuphile.com. Besides showcasing the Godzilla 1994 graphic novel, there's also a section dedicated to a King Kong vs. Godzilla graphic novel. What’s that about exactly?

Todd: KING KONG vs. GODZILLA is a story written by Mike Bogue and illustrated by your’s truly. It’s a re-telling of the Toho movie version that picks up where KING KONG ’33 left off. Our story has hinted explanations as to how Kong was revived and how he got large enough to battle the Big G. I used the original Kong design with some alterations, mainly beefing him up a bit more. The Godzilla design was mainly the one used in Toho’s GMK (2001). Originally, this comics series was intended for publication in G-FAN magazine, but only lasted for one issue (#58).
G-FAN had been publishing fan-based Godzilla stories and comics since it’s beginnings, but Toho sent them a “cease and desist” letter for both shortly after issue 58 was published. I’m still trying to figure out why...


GMN: Any other projects you’ll be working on in the near future?

Todd: Well, my hands will be completely full for the present with AMERICAN KAIJU The Mini-Series. I have many other old & new story ideas for that.

GMN: Random Question: Who is your favorite celebrity encounter and why?

Todd: That would have to be the night Jimi Hendrix accidentally kicked me in the back when he sat down (on the floor) behind me at a concert. I was 16, and my band had already opened for the headliners; a group from NYC, of whom Jimi was friends with. He was very nice and apologized. Anyone familiar with Jimi and his incredible talents will know “why” this was my answer;).

GMN: Thanks again Todd for this great interview.

Todd: You’re very welcome.

------------------------------------------------------

As as special treat too, Todd sent me some updated pics of the "Gryphon" from the "Godzilla 1994" film.

He stated that they're based off of the maquettes that Stan Winston Studios built for the film, so this is officially the closest we'll ever see of the "Gryphon" monster.























No comments:

Post a Comment